River Road

River Road - Jayne Ann Krentz

This Review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion's main site

Ms. Krentz has been my favorite author for over a decade; it was, in fact, one of her books that first helped spark my love of reading.  Which is why the last few releases of hers have caused me great sadness, they just didn’t resonate well with me…until this last one, River Road, which reminded me why I loved her writing so much in the first place.   It may be the return to straight romantic suspense after years of paranormal or that this entry did not try to be part of a series, but whatever it was made it clear to me that I do still love reading the thrilling ride that winds its way from Ms. Krentz’s mind straight into my heart.

River Road was a fun read--intertwining interesting characters, a charming setting and a thrilling mystery.  While I wouldn’t say it was perfect, (as there were loose ends, some predictability and repetition) I did find the characters relatable, the setting to be spot-on small town and the mystery to expand beyond the simple plot points to make me ponder the varieties of right and wrong, and what you would do for someone you love.  As always in one of Ms. Krentz’s works I loved the fact that the characters were whole in and of themselves, not needing but wanting the other person, adding an element of choice that I feel is sometimes lacking in the fate-inspired books so popular today.

River Road was a quick and fun read that I would recommend to anyone looking to get away for a day and visit some truly special characters and I am happy to give it four charming stars.