Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits - Katie McGarry

This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

Two broken people trying to find a way to put themselves and their world back together again.  That, to me, is what Pushing the Limits gives to its readers and it is a sweet, heartbreaking, moving, fun, joyful and terrifying experience.  Because no matter how hard you try, you can’t change the past…and you have to move beyond it if you want a future.

Pushing the Limits is very much a young adult novel rife with the “joys” of high-school drama from clicks to crushes to body image. Thankfully the story dove deeper, portraying both the sinister and sweet side of love and family, the trials of growing up and becoming your own person and the strength it takes to fight for the life you want.

It took me a little while to get into the rhythm of reading Pushing the Limits.  Having alternating chapters from Echo’s and Noah’s points of view broke my immersion in story a bit until I had a better handle on each of their personalities and stories.  However, once I did get the rhythm down and had them both clicked into my mind, I really enjoyed the depth and byplay that the alternating point of view was able to give me.  I feel it added greater complexity both to the story and to the characters themselves seeing the world from two vastly different sets of eyes.

I experienced so many different emotions while reading Pushing the Limits it is hard to wrangle them all onto a page.  It made me laugh, cry, swear and even took my breath away.  With such providence it is easy to understand why I could give in nothing less than four bright and shiny stars.