The Cuckoo's Calling

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

I will admit it, this book only hit my radar after finding out that it was written by J.K. Rowling. As a huge Harry Potter fan, who just hadn’t been able to stomach the Peyton Place similarities of Casual Vacancy, I was both curious and excited to give this new book a try. I am happy to say that I was not disappointed; while The Cuckoo’s Calling is far afield from Harry Potter it was still a smart and well written book that layered in both characterization and setting while still remaining true to a detective story reminiscent of an updated pulp.

The characters in this book where realistic and I enjoyed being able to view the story through both Cormoran and Robin’s points of view. While I found some of the history asides somewhat out of place, they did serve to add depth to the characterization and ground an otherwise maze-like plot in some form of reality.

The Cuckoo’s Calling submerged me in a different world; one that was grey and full of noir-edged logic, it immersed me in the details of an obliquely complex plot filled with tangible characters.