Eternal Kiss of Darkness - Jeaniene Frost Ms. Frost’s Night Huntress series is one that I have followed from the start, so when she decided to expand that world and give some of her more memorable secondary characters their own books I was thrilled at the idea. Her second “world” book, Eternal Kiss of Darkness, took a closer look at the inscrutable Mencheres, who is one of the oldest and most powerful vampires in existence. He is also, as we open this story, convinced it is his time to die. Enter our indomitable heroine, Kira Graceling.

This book was a fun and fast read, both poignant and passionate in good measure. Taking a powerhouse like Mencheres and finding him a suitable mate who is able to understand at least some of his past baggage was a tall order and I feel for the most part Ms. Frost delivered. Where I had the largest problem was with the villain of this piece, Radjedef. I found him irritating. Not particularly scary, or believable as a powerhouse himself; just irritating. This, I’m afraid, did somewhat muddy the story for me; to the point that I broke one of my longer standing guidelines and flipped to the end of the book to see what happened. I was able to read the second half of this story with less irritation once I was assured that Radje reaped the fruits of his ill-deeds.

However, Radje aside, I enjoyed the irreverence of this book—taking us everywhere from Disneyland to the Pyramids in our undead adventure—this story wove memorable characters, steamy love scenes, and a quirky humor into a fun yarn that had me enjoying it for hours. My only regret was that I was unable to spend greater time getting to know these characters, but I have high hopes that I will see them again in later Night Huntress books, and then—maybe—find more closure in their story. As it stands, this book gave insight into a very inscrutable character, and in so doing greater depth and breadth to the series as a whole.

I give this book three stars ★★★

As an end note I really have to add some personal nit-picking regarding the cover of this book. It had a beautiful cover, if a bit romance novel-ish—but hey it’s a romance novel—and then they had to go and superimpose blood dripping. And that turned it from a blue-tones pretty into just plain tacky. I cringed when I first saw this book; then tried to wipe away the truly awful—bordering on ketchup—tragedy that were those dreadful drips, but to no avail. I am not sure what the original point was—perhaps making more clear that this was a vampire romance—but for once I could see the appeal of reading on an e-read to hide the cover of your book. Not to conceal a title or story I was ashamed of reading, but to dull the cringe by not having to view it as often. I am a big fan of Ms. Frost’s work, and I do know that most authors have little to no say in the covers their books end up with, however I do hope for her sake that none of her future books are saddled with such tawdry covers.