Left Hand Magic (Golgotham #2) - Nancy A. Collins This series was one of my “finds” last year when I stumbled upon Right Hand Magic, the first book in this series. Ms. Collons was a new voice with fresh look at the urban fantasy genre that I had yet to be seen done before. The world of Golgotham was a living, breathing, tangible essence that nearly jumped off the pages. It was because of this experience that I was so eager to read the next book set in Golgotham, Left Hand Magic. And while the experience had a few misses, overall I was impressed with my second journey into Golgotham. So, come along with me to the gate of skulls and let us peek into NCY’s strangest neighborhood.

In Left Hand Magic we pick up pretty much where we left off with the beguiling Tate still finding her place as a human among the magical residents of Golgotham and Hexe using his right hand magic to heal and lift curses while trying to downplay his status as the heir apparent for the Kymeran throne—as ceremonial—for the most part—as that title may be. Uncle Esau takes the forefront as the villain in this book, and both black or left-hand magic and racial warmongering ensue.

I like this story a lot; I was fun and lighthearted while still keeping the tension to stop it from devolving into plain silliness. The plot in this book moved along already foreshadowed avenues, but in such a way as to avoid the often trite-feeling of being lead. My biggest problem with this book lay in the characterization; I even took over a month break from reading it when one too many times the main character made a stupid choice, even with the foresight to know that it was not-so-bright. That kind of decision making tends to irk me, and about two-thirds of the way through this story it managed to so to the point that I put the book down and walked away. Since finishing it, I can concede that the author did seem to have a purpose for sending her heroine into trouble, but even still it annoyed me. I hope that in future installments of this pretty fabulous series we see better choices in our main characters and a depth of characterization to match the stunning breadth of the world building.