Wolf Signs - Vivian Arend I won a copy of this e-book on Thea Harrisons blog, and was very excited to try out a new author along with just the glee of winning something, which was awesome. I have to say that I was a tab bit apprehensive while reading this one, as I felt it would be somewhat rude to bash apart something that I had gotten through someone’s generosity. Luckily for me, Ms. Arend is very talented and I enjoyed Wolf Signs quite a bit.
This story opens with our heroine packing to go on a cross-country ski trip with her brother, only to find out that he had something come up at the last minute, and he can’t go with her. And so the scene is set for one lone, deaf, female to be helicopter dropped into the middle of the Alaskan wilderness. Enter our hero, along with the much enjoyed comic relief of his younger brother, and things start to get very interesting; add an avalanche and things heat up right quick in the aftermath of the storm.
I liked this story, and while the short length made the scope of this tale much narrower than it would be in a full novel, it still gave enough of a flavor of the created world to enjoy it. I will be honest, if I hadn’t been given this book I don’t know that I would have chosen to read it, not because it wasn’t good—it was—just in that the characters and world are very far removed from my usual suspects. I am far from the outdoorsy type, and the authors chosen portrayal of werewolf is not really my preferred interpretation. It reminds me a bit of Carrie Vaughn’s “Kitty” books in tone, and while vastly popular, it is just not my thing. I may read another of Ms. Arend’s works if I come across it, and for people I know like this kind of books I would be happy to recommend it. I just don’t know if it is a series I will pursue.
All in all I give this title three and a half stars