Hush, Hush  - Becca Fitzpatrick This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

I spent the first two-thirds of this book waiting for it to get good. When, two hundred-plus pages later, it did start to get somewhat interesting, and we finally got to know a little something about the characters and the dynamics of the world Ms. Fitzpatrick has created, the whole thing was derailed by several plot big-rigs that just zoomed past any character development and crashed us into the ending. An ending which to be honest felt incomplete, messy and utterly implausible. I do realize that the author is writing a series, and thus, probably feels endings are a mere pausing point; but even still, when the end of a book feels like an "I only have a few pages left before I hit my word-count," there is a problem.

I came to like the characters in this book, even if throughout most of it I felt a little bad for liking Patch, and at the end I still feel the Nora was a bit of an idiot. The secondary characters were forgettable, the villains were a bit sketchy, and our main characters lacked any depth to which I could feel connected to them. I liked them, but didn’t truly grow to care for them.

The plot in the book felt like a lot of hurry up and wait. The few places it did move forward it did so with the grace of an elephant, it felt like the author manhandled it into the direction she wanted it to go. The part of this story that I was really interested in, the world of angels and the fallen, Patch’s past, and the dynamics of human vs. angel were all ignored. I kinda felt like the best parts of this book were never written.

All said I felt this book was ok. I don’t feel like it was a waste of time, as it was a fairly easy and quick read, and if I find myself stumbling across the next book I might pick it up to see where the characters went and if the promise of the first book’s lack of world building was ever fulfilled, but I doubt I will seek it out. And I am also glad that this book only cost me four dollars so I don’t have to feel too bad that I didn’t enjoy it more. It didn’t exactly instill a great faith in me on the “bestsellers” of the genre, but it didn’t depress me too greatly either.