A Werewolf in Manhattan - Vicki Lewis Thompson Review Also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

To start out, I won A Werewolf in Manhattan (and the second book in this series, Werewolf in the North Woods) in an author contest through Fresh Fiction. While I have never before read one of Ms. Thompson’s book, they have been on my radar for some time. Due in a large part to my ungainly TBR pile tho, I never gave into the urge to read one until now. Thanks to my good luck, I was given the opportunity to read through this book without the ticking of my conscience for buying another book to add to my already bursting TBR shelves. (I found a way around the guilt cycle, and I received two personalized and autographed books! I love winning contests!) So now on the book…

This was a cute and fun read. In places it did delve into a bit of the absurd, and make me laugh-out-loud (not a bad thing) while in others it was sweet and cuddly. The plot was a bit done, tho I will admit that I have mostly seen the writer-too-close-to-reality thing used with vampires, it was still a bit predictable. I was not a huge fan of the family dynamics thing, nor was I big on the throw-back arranged marriage concept. It felt that for a contemporary light paranormal it just dragged it down a bit. I did however LOVE the “quirk” of genetics that made our hero shift into wolf form if left sexually frustrated. I found it hilarious, and a great plot device, not to mention a yummy excuse for steamy-time, which this book had loads of. Ms. Thompson knows how to write steamy-time.

I liked the characters in this book a great deal, the bantering and the playfulness were fun to read, and the push and pull between personalities and circumstances was a nice, if at-time uncomfortable, tension. Some of the secondary characters were quite memorable and I would love to see future books that had Roarke’s or Nadia’s HEA. (I haven’t read the blurb on the next book to see if that is likely, but I think it would be fun.)

The plot in this work was a tad-bit contrived, and I will admit in places disappointing for me. I don’t know if it was the wealthy angle that is just not my style, or the hot and cold relationship, but in either case it almost reminded me of an old musical where I wanted to yell into the screen to avoid further mishaps. This book would make on heck of a screw-ball comedy. It did eventually pick up for me, about two-thirds of the way in, when we had less secrets and the oblique family presence was more pinned down to actually personalities. It is then where I really feel we got down to telling a love story. The wrap-up of which, coming as it did so late in the book, was a bit quick. An epilogue that included acceptance, new in-laws, adoring and contributing Weres and white lace was a bit of a cop-out to me. I am hoping that in the next entry into this series I get a little more culture, and a little less lying.

All that said—I still plan to dive right into book two, and give this title a shiny three stars.