Once Burned - Jeaniene Frost This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

Ms. Frost does it again in this hot and steamy work-of-genius paranormal romance

Vlad, a character we have gotten to know and love in her Night Huntress series, finally gets the spotlight he deserves in this thrilling beginning book of the Night Prince series and meets his match in the electric Leila. This book had me hooked from the start; caring about the intrepid Leila and revealing Vlad as more than the fun and sarcastic character I have learned to love, but an unapologetically ruthless hero that was layered and complex.

I adored the character building in this book; showing Vlad in all his dualistic nature and introducing Leila as a strong and stubborn counterpoint that is up to the task of dealing with both his ego and ruthless nature. The plot was somewhat basic, but kept me guessing enough to be engaging, and suspended my disbelief to have me gleeful. The only negative I found about this book was the ending…it left many loose ends to be tied up in the next book with a publish date available for it. As with all of Ms. Frost’s books I am sure it will be well worth the wait, but until then I will wonder what happens next.

All-around I give this book five stars.