Night Reigns - Dianne Duvall This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

This series continues to deliver excellent surprises; in a genre sometimes saturated with retellings Ms. Duvall gives new life to the undead.

The world that I liked at the beginning of this series has both expanded and begun to evolve; now encompassing not just otherworldly phenomenon but other worlds, and becoming a dynamic and interesting place that I am eager to delve further into. I enjoyed the plot of this book, while the outside conflict was a bit trite through most of the book the inner struggles between characters more than made up for it and once those calmed down the outside forces found a twist that took things in a whole new direction. I loved all the characters in this book. Ami, both strong and vulnerable due to past damage and Marcus the thawing ice-cold heart that had felt too much, along with all the secondary characters we met in the first book including glimpses of the staring couple after their HEA. After finishing this book I am eager to see what story is next as at least two possibilities presented themselves, both stories I would love to read.

I give this book a hearty four stars.