First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson Series #1) - Darynda Jones This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

I had heard a lot about the series, and almost started it years ago when it was out in trade paperback but I didn’t have the shelf space at the time so decided to wait for it to come out in mass media. I am not sure whether I am sad I didn’t start it sooner or happy because now I won’t have to wait between as many publications, but I am sure of the fact that I loved this book. It was a good game.

The humor in this book, mostly through the main character Charley Davidson, was spot on for me. It did reach a bit high at times on the snark meter but somehow I was always right there with her, loving every moment, without having it tip over into the absurd and having the suspension of disbelief shattered. The development of both main and secondary characters was such that I really felt I knew them, and while some fit into the “I would like to know” and others fell into the “I would like to smack category” (and of course at least one came under the would like to jump), I still had strong impressions about all of them instead of the all-too-often read cardboard cut-out placeholder. The world building in this book was organic and engaging, I was able to step right into it and become both immersed and lost in as Charley navigated the twists and turns of each new situation. I am not usually a huge fan on the police investigation angle, but the turned that trope on its head to such an extent that I loved it. The book, while short, pack an incredible punch, tying up enough to not leave me feeling frustrated and leaving enough unsaid to have me going out today to pick up the next book in the series.

I give this book an enthusiastic five stars.