The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

I am probably one of the few fantasy book lovers who made it past my teen years never having read the Hobbit, and so this being my first foray into its pages I was armed with the many loving recollections of this story starting a love of books and reading that has lasted the lifetime to date of my bibliophilic friends. I would imagine such praise would be a lot for any book to live up to, and one aimed at sixth-graders and written with an older narrative structure, mentality and sensibilities did not —and I am probably going to reap lots of hate for this—live up to the press, to me at least.

I found the plot to be overly simplistic, the secondary characters to be little more than cardboard cutouts used to fill out the numbers, and even Bilbo to be passively interesting at best. There was a lot of hurry up and wait in this book, the “quest” was neither noble nor particularly interesting in its main goal, not to mention badly planned. The characters embodied little in the way of qualities that would make them particularly likable, which can be interesting, but sadly sympathetic was one of their better points—interesting fell well short of the mark.

All in all, I think this book is seminal in the fact of when it was written and its help in expanding a before oft-under-esteemed genre, and has a place in many heart for its remembered glory, but to me at this point in my life, leaves much to be desired.

I give this book three stars.