Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

While this book had been sitting on my shelves for some time, I didn’t have the impulse to read it until after I had finished City of Bones by Ms. Clare and been left unsure as to whether or not I truly liked her writing and where she chose to take story lines. At the end of this first volume of her prequel series I am still a bit unsure as to whether I can anticipate Ms. Clare’s storylines but have determined that I like her writing after enjoying this book even more than the first of her work I was exposed to.

Clockwork Angel toed the fine line between historical accuracy in the Victorian time period and creating a story that was alive and dynamic with such finesse it could have been a tight-ropewalker without a net. I found the characters compelling, the plot intricate enough to be appealing but not so serpentine to be Machiavellian and the world to be fleshed out in a way that both reinforced her earlier series and took steps to be all its own. I also enjoyed the interaction in this story of machinery and magic. By taking the fascination of the era with steam-powered innovation and integrating it within the supernatural realm I feel that Ms. Clare created a unique atmosphere in her work—overlaying the industrial with the sublime. Using this dichotomy as a backdrop for dynamic and engaging characters, I feel that Clockwork Angel pieced together a form of “steam” that was both proper and edgy—a good addition to any genre.

I enjoyed reading this book and give it a proper four stars.

As a further side note I would also like to mention that the cover art for this book as absolutely amazing; one of the things that first drew me to the book and certainly a piece of art I am happy to have on my shelves.