Hounded - Kevin Hearne This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion

This book was already on my shelves thanks to several recommendations and a fun first few pages but somehow didn’t make it to the top of my TBR pile until it was chosen as February’s pick for my Urban Fantasy series book-club which turned out to be the push I needed to finally get around to reading it.

The first half of this book, while good at character development and world-building did have me questioning what all the hype was about. It was very Dresden-esque which could account for the praise but didn’t really click with me (nor did Dresden for that matter) but in an effort to both give this book a full showing and complete the book-club reading I plowed ahead. What I found was more than worth the effort; in the second half of this book I found magic.

The world building that to that point had been a bit academic took on a more fleshed-out feel and instead of just history I was able to sink my teeth into a believability that grounded the story in more than just street names and location descriptions but in genuine interactions and unexpected consequences. The characters, who had felt a bit bigger than life, I finally found connection with making them relatable instead of ineffable. Even when dealing with gods I need to have that spark of understanding and Mr. Hearne was able to write that with admirable dexterity, imbuing layers into the story while adding to the characterization that is what will have me coming back for more. By the end of this book I felt a kind of kinship with with his witty and charismatic main character, Atticus, was reluctantly impressed with the alien thought process brought forth by the Tuatha Dé Danann and Fae and enchanted by Oberon who provided the perfect comedic balance and was by far my favorite character in this book—not a bad showing for a wolfhound.

Though it had a bit of a rocky start, I liked this book and feel the series has real promise, something I will be sure to follow up on with Hexed the next book in this series.

I happily give Hounded four stars.